Pages

March 24, 2018

Why I’m Afraid of Bees by R. L. Stine

Book Review of Why I'm Afraid of Bees (Goosebumps Book #17) by R. L. Stine

Why I'm Afraid of Bees R. L. Stine

Why I’m Afraid of Bees by R. L. Stine is the story of a boy called Gary Lutz who considers himself a failure. He has no friends. There are big, brawny kids who are after him. They beat him whenever they meet him – time and place don’t seem to have much importance to them. Gary is not liked by his neighbour Andretti either. Andretti is a beekeeper and Gary hates bees. He not only hates them, he seems to be afraid of them. Their buzzing noise irritates him. He even hates honey because it reminds him of bees.

The story of Why I’m Afraid of Bees by R. L. Stine gets a sudden twist when Gary finds an advertisement of ‘Person-To-Person Vacations’. On visiting the place mentioned in the advertisement, Gary meets Ms. Karmen who explained to him the process. According to her, Gary will be able to live in the body of someone who is willing to take Gary’s body in exchange. He fills up the application form and leaves. 

Soon Gary receives a call from Ms. Karmen informing him that a boy named Dirk Davis has agreed to switch bodies with him. Ms. Karmen sets up her machines to initiate the process. But the switching goes wrong and instead of the body of Dirk, it sends Gary into a bee’s body.

Why I’m Afraid of Bees by R. L. Stine is the 17th book of Goosebumps horror series. I usually find the Goosebumps books thrilling. This book is no exception to that. However, I didn’t find it scary enough. Apiphobia is not much common around here, I guess. Back in my childhood I was not afraid of bees. I was afraid of spiders, snakes and other things, but never of bees. Nor did I know anyone who was afraid of bees or bee stings. That’s why it was very difficult for me to put myself in Gary’s shoes. Though Why I’m Afraid of Bees by R. L. Stine hasn’t entirely failed to scare me, I found his other books like I Live in Your Basement, lot scarier.



Stay Out of the Basement You Can't Scare Me Chicken Chicken

No comments: